Minutes of Meeting held 17th November 2020

 

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF ALFORD TOWN COUNCIL

HELD VIA MICROSOFT TEAMS

ON 17th NOVEMBER 2020

 

Present:  Councillors R Quantrell; G. Hounslow; D Robinson; B Stockley; G Allan; S Devereux; L Iaquaniello; J Shutt; and A Whitcombe

 

L Croft – Town Clerk

G Marsh - ELDC

 

TO RECEIVE AND ACCEPT APOLOGIES WHERE VALID REASONS FOR ABSENCE HAVE BEEN GIVEN TO THE TOWN CLERK PRIOR TO THE MEETING.

(Agenda Item 1)

56. Apologies received and accepted from Cllrs K Tupling, and A Hayman. 

TO RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST UNDER THE LOCALISM ACT 2011- BEING ANY PECUNIARY INTEREST IN AGENDA ITEMS NOT PREVIOUSLY RECORDED ON MEMBERS’ REGISTER OF INTERESTS AND ANY WRITTEN REQUEST FOR DISPENSATION.

(Agenda Item 2)

57. None.

TO APPROVE AS A CORRECT RECORD THE NOTES OF THE MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD ON 15th SEPTEMBER 2020 AND TO AUTHORISE THE CHAIRMAN TO SIGN THE OFFICIAL MINUTES

 (Agenda Item 3)

58. Proposed, seconded and resolved that the minutes be signed as a correct record by the Chairman.

REPORT FOLLOWING THAT MEETING.

(Agenda Item 4)

59. Agenda Item 49d – Following interviews conducted by Cllrs Quantrell, Devereux and Robinson, Lynnette Pryke was appointed as deputy clerk, due to start 1st December 2020.

REPORT FROM THE CHAIRMAN

(Agenda Item 5)

60. None – all covered by agenda items.

TABLE CORRESPONDENCE

(Agenda Item 6)

61. a. Clerks & Councils Direct Magazine – November 2020.

b. E-mail from Lincolnshire Resilience Forum regarding a pilot Emergency Response Exercise on the 1st December 2020. The exercise will take place over 3 hours on Tuesday 1st December and will require Alford to form an emergency response team from willing volunteers within the community. Due to COVID restrictions this exercise will be held in a virtual space so does require each volunteer to have access to the internet. The names of volunteers taking part need to be sent to Lalc by 20th November. 

c. LCC notification of temporary traffic restrictions: Well (near Alford) for carriageway patching on High Lane (A1104 Miles Cross Hill to Cherry Tree Lane). 2/12/20 to 4/12/20 as and when required. 

d. External Auditors have signed off the accounts for 2019/20.

e. Email from ELDC – Precepts for 2021/22 figures must be submitted to ELDC no later than Monday 18th January.  Therefore, precept and budget will have to be ratified at December meeting.

N/003/01220/20 109 West Street, Alford – Change of use, conversion and alterations to the existing ground floor shop, first and second floor HMO to provide 3 flats – Permission granted

REPORTS FROM OUTSIDE BODIES 

(Agenda Item 7)

62. Cllr Marsh updated councillors confirming that the Asset Transfer to the Town Council had been passed at the full ELDC council meeting.

The rise in cases of Covid-19 in the District was of great concern.

ELDC are to invest in their markets and it had been agreed that ELDC should support those markets run by town councils by providing new covers.

FINANCIAL MATTERS

(Agenda Item 8)

63.         a. To approve accounts for Payment October as presented.

Proposed, seconded and Resolved that payments as presented be made.

b. Budget 2021/22 – preliminary discussions.

Cllr Quantrell gave an overview of the figures presented. There were additional costs involved in the transfer of assets including for the park and other areas of land with additional ground maintenance and also the additional staff costs involved in additional responsibilities.

UPDATE ON TRANSFER OF ASSETS FROM ELDC.

(Agenda Item 9)

64. a.     To discuss car parking charges.

Figures were provided which showed the difference between charging for carparks in line with current policies and not charging. The increase in budget if no charge was levied for the carparks would be approx.16% which most councillors felt was too high. ELDC studies have shown that there is little benefit to retailers where there are free carparks and the central market place might be full of local residents and workers vehicles. It was suggested that the cost of running the carparks could be reduced by introducing card machines eliminating the need for someone to empty cash and bank it.

ELDC are currently looking at this option and will share their information on this. A decision will be made at the December meeting.

REPORT FOLLOWING FIRST COMMUNITY GARDEN COMMITTEE MEETING.

(Agenda Item 10)

65. The first meeting of the Community Garden Group had taken place. Cllr Quantrell thanked ELDC councillors for putting him in touch with Viking Link who have offered their assistance. Angie Dewick-Eisele will be the chairman of this group which will become a charity. In the budget the loan for allotments of approx.£45,000 has been earmarked for this project. That will be the extent of the Town Council finance towards this, any future funding will be via grants etc. Cllr Quantrell and Hounslow will work on the logistics of clearing the site and the other members will ask various groups in town what they would like to see in a community garden. Soil tests will be carried out on the land around the Squash club.

TO DISCUSS THE EFFECTIVENESS OF CCTV – CLLR WHITCOMBE.

(Agenda Item 11)

66. Cllr Whitcombe having lost his connection was unable to raise his issues and therefore this item is deferred until December.

UPDATE ON REQUESTED LCC ASSET TRANSFERS. 

(Agenda Item 12)

67. Cllr Quantrell has been working on the business plan for transfer of the library building, officers at LCC are happy with the plan so far. Cllr Matthews will provide a statement in support of the plan and Lynnette Pryke will also provide a statement on the advantages of all being in the same building. The plan will go to the property board on the 17th December and if passed by them to LCC full council probably in January. Capital held following the sale of the chapel will be used to improve and alter the building. An extension at the rear between the building and the public toilets would be a useful space for the children’s library allowing the front area for the Town Clerk’s office.

Cllrs March and Devereux left the meeting.

SUSTAINABLE TRAVEL GRANT FOR CYCLE SHELTER RECEIVED – COLOUR OF SHELTER TO BE AGREED.

(Agenda Item 13)

68. Cllr Shutt updated councillors.

Proposed, seconded and resolved that the new cycle shelter should be black and remain in same location.

CONSIDER THE PURCHASE OF REACTIVE SPEED SIGN FOR ALFORD.

(Agenda Item 14)

69. It was agreed that a reactive speed sign would enhance existing plans to have a community speed watch group. Reactive speed signs can be moved to different locations and there is an option to download data on vehicle speeds. Cost of speed sign and back plates to be established so that a decision can be made at the December meeting.

CONSIDER REPLACING THE MISSING SEATS AT THE JUNCTION OF HAMILTON ROAD/SOUTH STREET. 

(Agenda Item 15)

70. Clerk to obtain prices of wooden seats for next meeting in December.

CONSIDER REPLACING THE WOODEN SEATS IN THE GAZEBO WITH METAL SEATS

(Agenda Item 16)

71. Cllr Quantrell will discuss with Cllr Whitcombe before the next town council meeting.

PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT TO BE CONSIDERED.

(Agenda Item 17)

72. None.

TREE ORDERS TO BE CONSIDERED: 

(Agenda Item 18)

73. a. EZY/0108/20/TCA 16 Church Street, Alford – Reduce height of trees by 2m, fell cypress and birch.

Resolved no comment as plan supplied incomplete.

b. EZY/0107/20/TCA 120 West Street, Alford – Reduce height of trees by 5m, remove Birch.

Resolved that maintenance of trees necessary although the removal of any tree is not desirable the ELDC officer would only allow if necessary.

c. EZY/0112/20/TCA 5 East Street, Alford – Removal of 1 ash tree and remove 1 limb of 2nd ash tree.

Resolved support.

ANY MATTERS FOR GENERAL DISCUSSION OR INCLUSION IN NEXT AGENDA. 

(Agenda Item 19)

74. a. A quote for the supply and installation of a video intercom entry system for 1st floor offices had been received, second quote to be requested from Rubik Electrics.

b. The windmill group had held an initial meeting at Manor House, next meeting will be online on 26th November. Denis Bell will lead on this project. It was decided that a CIO be formed as a separate vehicle to the Civic Trust as it should be easier to obtain grants as an individual group. Civic Trust and Town Council will work with the group which will need more members to run this project. 

c. St Wilfrid’s Close will be formally adopted by LCC on 11/12/2020 which will mean that the work on the Church carpark can start,

 

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.22pm